We appreciate the fact that you put your trust in Secret Storage Books when you talk and shop with us on our website. We promise to safeguard your privacy and treat you and your information with respect.
Why We Need Your Information and How We Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
We will only collect information from you for the purposes of responding to your requests and orders, and shopping choices. We will never sell or share your name or other information to a third party for profit, nor is any credit card information saved in my store; credit card payments are processed through a secure shopping cart by Shopify Payments following all industry security requirements. Your information is held for as long as Secret Storage Books has this website.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Payments. I share information with Shopify payments and PayPal as necessary to provide you my services and comply with my obligations.
- Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as couriers to ship your order
- Cookies: By using our website, you (the visitor) agree to allow third parties to process your IP address, in order to determine your location for the purpose of currency conversion and analytics. You also agree to have that currency stored in a session cookie in your browser (a temporary cookie which gets automatically removed when you close your browser). We do this in order for the selected currency to remain selected and consistent when browsing our website so that the prices can convert to your (the visitor) local currency."
- Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
Our website runs on the Shopify eCommerce platform and includes third party applications that help us operate the website.
Here are links to the applications that I share your data with to communicate, sell and print your orders:
During checkout, you will be asked for your phone number. This is to ensure we can reach you if a rush order needs clarification. Some shipments are sent by couriers who requires that a phone number accompany the shipment.
You need to opt in for email sign up by confirming you indeed want to receive emails from us for marketing purposes or updates. You have the right to opt out of emails anytime by either choosing "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the email, or by contacting us directly.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. We describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting me - I will send you all the data retained by my website.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) we will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
(updated Sept.2, 2021)